Header & profile photo by www.rawphotodesign.com

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Leave it to Beaver?

Captain Beaver!

 Tomorrow is Groundhogs Day.  The day grown men & women look to a rodent in the hopes that spring will be coming soon.  This is asinine. The groundhog, also known as the "woodchuck" (inserted the best Geico ad here, for your pleasure) or my fav, the "land beaver," will be yanked out of his cozy bed to either:

a. see his shadow, get frightened  & retreat back into his burrow for another 6 weeks, or
b. not see it, get excited & dance around with the portly fellow with the top hat

My question is this:  If it is daytime, won't a shadow be present no matter what?  Even a cloudy day can produce shadows, right?  I'm no meteorologist, but light = shadow in my book.  I think this is a sham.  We are screwed either way!

This got me thinking about the meaning of Groundhog Day.  For those of you who have not seen the movie by the same name, here is the jist:

 Bill Murray plays Phil Connors, an egocentric Pittsburgh TV weatherman who, during a hated assignment covering the annual Groundhog Day event in Punxsutawney, finds himself repeating the same day over and over again. After indulging in hedonism and numerous suicide attempts, he begins to reexamine his life and priorities.(thank you, Wikipedia)


I think that I am living this movie .. (minus the suicide attempts)  There are things that go on in home, every day..without fail, and through no fault of my own..NEVER CHANGE!!  Mind you I have 2 boys & a husband, so I am outnumbered here...but let me give you some examples:

Everyday, these things can be found in my house at any given time:
          
           -wet towels left on the floor
           -an empty toilet paper roll
           -at least one pair of "soiled" underwear
           -at least 2 unmade beds  (if I don't make em...forgetaboutit)
           -urine on, around or with in 4 feet of the toilet
           -single rogue socks
           -a laundry basket that miraculously refills itself overnight
           -a "surprise" in the bathroom toilet
          
Do these these things can make me want to reexamine my life? No..but they have made me question my birth control decisions. 

I suppose it goes with the territory. My life is a dizzying array of messes that I clean up..day after day.  This, my eager beavers , is not bliss!!  This is Albert Einsteins definition of insanity.  Doing the same thing over & over and expecting a different result.

So, whether Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow or not, I will still be here, in domestic hell...picking up socks, cleaning up pee..and dreaming of days where I can wear a silk robe, those slippers with the heels & marabou feathers & drink champagne in the mornings.  

Until then ladies..I'll be hiding in the garage, chain smoking & trying to get through another day in paradise. Happy G-day!

2 comments:

I would love to hear from you.. Thoughts? Comments? Future Blog Topics? Go ahead, don't be shy!