Header & profile photo by www.rawphotodesign.com

Thursday, April 14, 2011

F-U: Our Obsession with the F-word

WARNING: there is some bad #&%^$*& language in this entry

The four letter word we all love.  Well at least I do.  It is an atrocious habit.  I have a trucker mouth.  I'm not sure when or how this happened, but it is bad.  In this day & age we all have a foul mouth.  This is nothing new.  History doesn't lie. Wikipedia has an amusing entry about the history of the f-word.  The examples are hysterical.


I have recently noticed that the use of f&^% is becoming more accepted & mainstream,  I mean, take the radio for example.  We have P!nk with "F-ing Perfect," Cee Lo Green's "F.U." and the egocentric Enrique belting out "Tonight I'm F*&$ing You."  I much enjoy the radio edits of these songs, but on XM you get the whole sha-bang!  Never mind Jersey Shore or any series on HBO. (it's not TV..It's F-bomb central!) Even the squeaky clean American Idol has to bleep out Steven Tyler every other sentence.  I come from a generation where we are numb to the f-word. We don't even flinch at the use.  (Maybe we should?) It is amazing how accepted it is now.


Once reserved for when you were really, really mad (or as another term for makeup sex,) f#%$ can now be used as every part of speech. According to Wiki, "F*&$" can be used as a verb, adverb, adjective, command, interjection, noun, and can logically be used as virtually any word in a sentence."  

Let's look at some examples, shall we?


VERB: Action or state of being or "I don't really give a flying f**&."
ADVERB: Modifies any verb or "I talk way to f*$&#^ much!"
ADJECTIVE: Describing word or "This yogurt is so f*&^%#$ good!"   (<--Classic Seinfeld clip)
COMMAND: Used forcefully or  "Go f*@$ yourself!"
INTERJECTION: Conveys emotion or "F&$^! You didn't tell me you were married!""
NOUN: Person, place, animal, thing or abstract idea or "Steve Buscemi is one ugly f@$!"

AS EVERY PART OF SPEECH or "F&@ you , you f*@^#I% f^#$!

Amazing isn't it?  We have taken a word that used to have one specific meaning & made it an integral part of our language.  Honestly, it is pretty bad. It totally cheapens you & undermines your credibility. (unless you are a cast member on The Sopranos, Antonio Montana or Christian Bale on a psychotic rampage.) Now, that's some good sh&*!

Being a woman it is even worse. No one likes a potty mouth!  I don't understand our (or my) obsession with this word.  Sure, we try to soften it with fuzzy terms like: "freakin" "fark" "flippin" "mother-trucker".  They really don't have the pizazz that the real thing emotes. 

Whatever the reason, the misunderstood & overused "f-word" is here to stay whether we like it or not.  So mothers, get out your bars of soap, because all of our mouths could use a little washing out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.. Thoughts? Comments? Future Blog Topics? Go ahead, don't be shy!