Header & profile photo by www.rawphotodesign.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I'm Not Here For Your Entertainment: Summer Survival

Schools..out..for summmma!  Crap!  The last day of school is today.  A time that mothers from all over cherish, spending day in & day out with their children bonding, connecting & secretly drinking in the basement. I'm kidding... (well, half kidding)  We all start out the summer with good intentions with lists of things to do, places to go, people to see.  For some reason it takes about 15 minutes for those plans to go kaput.  "I'm bored, I'm tired, he's touching me."  It can be a challenge, this summer vacation survival thing. I need to figure out how I'm going to get through the next 70 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes & 22 seconds.


When I asked my boys what the would like to do this summer their suggestions were actually not too bad.  The Mystic Aquarium, Science Center, Lake Compounce are all good places.  Aside from costing me about $125 each for a few hours they are tolerable. OK, that's 3 days down.  Only 67 more to cover.


I'm not one of those alpha moms.  You know the really spunky, excitable, over-achieving moms?  Not me.  This often makes me feel inadequate.  Am I the only mom out there that feels like this?  Sure, my kids are sent to school clean, with matching clothes, no bed head with lunch money.  I do not orchestrate lavish birthday parties with rental ponies & bounce houses.  Nor do I schedule my kids morning, noon & night with play dates, chess practice or French lessons.  I am old school.  I say "go outside & play."  No good?  I think it is important for the kids to be able to entertain themselves once in a while.  What ever happened to chase & kick the can battles that lasted until the sun went down?  This is what I remember summer vacation being about.  Playing for hours & of course, the ice cream truck.  Where is that ice cream truck now-a-days?

I think it is nice to sometimes NOT have a plan. No structure.  It is very freeing you know.  "Mom, what are we going to do today?"  "NOTHING!  Go run laps around the yard as fast as you can.  I'll time you.  Ready, set...GO!"  Still, no good?  When I was young, my parents were not totally consumed in making sure we were entertained.  It was not how things were done.  We were the kids.  We got up, got dressed, had breakfast & went outside for the day.  That was it.  I do not remember daily trips to museums, parks & tours of Europe.  If we were lucky we went to the beach.  There, the adults sat down & we went off & played. Outside. All day.  Are you seeing a theme here?

Now, I am not saying that we should never do anything "special."  I'm just saying that if you do these things all the time, they are no longer special.  They are common-place & then, in turn, become expected.  I don't know about you, but I am not an ATM.  Everything "special" really means "IT"S EXPENSIVE."  Hide & seek is pretty cheap.  As is kickball, Frisbee, basketball & napping. 

As I bask on the last few hours of child-free coffee & quiet this morning I hope to have an amazing summer with my kids. I know it will have it's share of arguments, smart-mouthing, whining & temper tantrums.  (And that's just me I'm talking about.) Seriously, summer vacation is here for all of us to enjoy.  I hope I make it through in one piece.  So get out there, have fun & ENJOY!!  If you can't reach me, I'll be in the basement.

1 comment:

  1. I am ALWAYS telling my son that it is NOT MY JOB to entertain him! .....Dan Grenier.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you.. Thoughts? Comments? Future Blog Topics? Go ahead, don't be shy!